Certified Medical Assistant - CMA
Company: OHI - Ocean Health Initiatives, Inc.
Posted on: August 5, 2022
Job DescriptionOcean Health Initiatives, Inc. (OHI) is a
Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) dedicated to providing
quality, accessible and comprehensive primary health care to the
residents of Ocean and Monmouth County; regardless of economic
status. Our Health Center Locations: Brick, Freehold, Lakewood,
Little Egg Harbor, Manahawkin, Manchester and Toms River; with our
school-based Wellness Programs located within the Clifton Ave Grade
School, Lakewood; and Lakewood High School.OHI services include
family and internal medicine, pediatrics, behavioral health,
nutrition, OB/GYN women's health, dental, family planning,
specialty care, pharmacies, PrEP, and a STI clinic. Hours:Full-time
hours are M-F 8:00am- 4:30pm with rotating evening/Saturday shifts
(subject to seasonal changes and business/site needs)Position
Summary:Reporting directly to the Director of Nursing (DON) and the
Practice Site Manager, the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)
provides patient care under the direction of the CMO and the
Provider, including telephoning patients, obtaining vitals,
documenting in EMR and immunization administration. The Certified
Medical Assistant (CMA) assists with supplies and equipment
ordering and is committed to creating a positive team environment
while being a good team member.Responsibilities:
- Escorts patient from waiting room to the exam room. Utilizes
the EMR to assign rooms and move the patient accordingly.
- Takes a history of visit and chief complaints and documents in
- Practice professional attitude and attire at all times, clean
and neat uniform, short fingernails, no large jewelry of any type,
and no facial piercings for safety and infection control best
- Complete intake on patients by obtaining patient medical and
surgical history, chief complaint, smoking status, depression
screening, allergy information, and social history. Document all
data in EMR.
- Obtains vitals: temperature, pulse, blood pressure, respiration
rate, pulse oximetry, height and weight of all patients following
- Instruct and assist patient to remove shoes for accurate weight
measurement and inspection of feet, for diabetic patients
- OB CMA will inquire about patient's dental needs and assist the
patient to schedule a dental appointment
- As a part of the uniform requirement, CMA must wear wrist-watch
with second hand i to provide safe and quality patient care and
obtain accurate vital signs
- Reviews level of pain with patient and documents all vital
signs in patient's chart in the EMR.
- Performs dipstick Urinalysis, pregnancy tests (OB), vision and
hearing tests, and head circumference measurement (Pediatrics).
Documents all findings in patient's chart in EMR. Collaborates with
provider for further follow up on any tests as needed
- Administers vaccines according to policy using two identifiers,
providing proper vaccine information sheets to patients and
accurately documenting information in the EMR.
- Maintain an accurate daily temperature log for
refrigerator/freezer temperatures to assure vaccine and medication
safety. Update the log monthly, file the log for previous month and
send a copy to DON by 5th of each month
- Clean the refrigerator/freezer monthly, and maintain an
up-to-date refrigerator cleaning log
- Document appropriate and accurate patient data in NJIIS
Registry, and provide patients/guardians with vaccine side effect
education booklet as per NJ State requirement.
- Telephone patients as required.
- Monitor's patient flow, and assists in the preparation of exam
rooms and patient charts. Effectively work with the care team to
deliver safe and quality care.
- Assists providers during exams and procedures as
- Follows standard precautions when administering patient care
and adheres to techniques outlined in OHI Infection Control Policy
at all times.
- Cleans and disinfects exam room tables and equipment after each
patient and prepares room for next patient.
- Call No Show patients within 30 minutes after the missed
appointment assist patient with re-scheduling the appointment, and
- Maintains logs for all medical devices as designated in each
- Requests referrals and gives patient contact, prescription,
x-ray or lab requisitions ensuring process is complete.
- Provides for patient's privacy, cultural sensitivity, comfort,
safety and hygiene in a non-judgmental way.
- Identifies all patients using two indicators (name and date of
birth) prior to administering care.
- Ensures patient care equipment is clean and properly
- Maintain inventory of routine medical supplies and orders
supplies monthly and as needed
- Checks supplies for expiration dates as required
- Disinfects and cleans all treatment rooms at the end of each
- Prepares charts for providers for the following day to include
labs, x-rays and ultrasounds, consultations, and hospital reports.
Document in EMR all objective and subjective findings for
- Perform venipuncture for routine blood work as/ needed.
Explains the procedure to the patient prior to initiating blood
- Seeks proper assistance with difficult venipuncture or with any
concerns or abnormal objective findings.
- Assist with the management of inventory and sterilization of
all medical equipment for Ob/gyn dept.
- Clean instruments for ultrasonic cleaning and sterilization
after each use in accordance with established infection control
- Coordinates the delivery/receipt of all instruments and
equipment sent for sterilization processing as reflected by
instrument log and availability of needed instruments and
- Maintains and stocks all equipment for all exam rooms and
- Maintains appropriate paperwork for inventory control and
reviews orders received for completeness.
- Participates in staff development and educational
- Maintains current CPR certification as evidenced by valid
- Attends continuing education and collaborative meetings.
- Orients and trains staff as observed by nursing supervisor or
- Develops and maintains good human relations skills and displays
a respectful, caring attitude at all times.
- Accepts constructive criticism as demonstrated by positive
- Introduces self by name to patient/significant others
throughout appointment as evidenced by feedback from patients, and
- Reports all necessary information and/or unusual occurrences in
accordance with established policies and procedures, and notifies
DON/Practice Site Manager of unusual occurrences as they
- Completes incident reports immediately as per policy in all
- Reports actions of others which have negative impact on patient
- Promotes and delivers optimum care to the satisfaction of all
- Completes all mandatory in-services and attends all required
- Reports to any OHI site as scheduled by Scheduling
- Is highly accountable for one's own productivity. In order to
maintain transparency, all projects must be represented clearly on
a project board in Monday.com. You are responsible for ensuring the
board is always updated and accurate and that information is
accessible to those that need it.Education:
- Graduate from an accredited medical assistant/medical
- Current National Certification as Medical Assistant is
- Certified Basic Life Support is required. Maintains CPR
certification as evidenced by valid card.Other Qualifications:
- Bilingual English/Spanish is preferred.
- Must have effective people skills.
- Must be computer literate.
- Flexible schedule to meet the needs of the organization and
hours of operation.
- Rotation of sites and weekend shifts may be required.
- Reliable transportation to various sites as needed.The above
responsibilities represent those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. To
perform these essential job functions, an employee must be able to
meet certain physical and aptitude requirements as described below.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform their essential functions, as required
under the Americans with Disabilities Act ("ADA") or other
applicable state/local law. Physical/Aptitude/Environmental
Demands:While performing the duties of this job, an employee will
generally be required to sit (i) during at least 50 % of their work
shift; or (ii) at least 4 hours in a 8 hour shift; and will
generally be required to stand (i) during at least 50 % of their
work shift; or (ii) at least 4 hours in a 8 hour shift. The
employee will be required to walk or ambulate around the office.
The employee must have sufficient vision and use their arms,
fingers and/or hands to manipulate and use office equipment,
including but not limited to, telephones, computers, computer
keyboard, and cabinets/drawers. The employee must be able to
occasionally lift and carry approximately 10 pounds. The employee
will be occasionally required to stoop, bend, reach, pull, push,
kneel and/or crouch, e.g. to retrieve supplies, stock cabinets,
prepare an exam room, file records. The employee must be able to
communicate in a manner that is understood by patients and other
employees. An employee must be able to function and perform their
duties while under the inherent stresses of a busy office setting
with a high volume of patients.Ocean Health Initiatives is firmly
committed to creating a diverse workplace and is proud to provide
equal employment opportunities to all applicants. Therefore, Ocean
Health does not discriminate on the basis of creed, color, national
origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion,
marital or parental status, alienage, disability, political
affiliation or belief, military or military discharge status.In
accordance with New Jersey Executive order (COVID-19 No.283) in
conjunction with the Federal CDC guidelines, COVID vaccinations are
a requirement for Ocean Health Initiatives as well as many other
Healthcare Organizations. Proof of full vaccination and the booster
shot is required prior to the beginning date of employment. If you
have a medical or religious contraindication, please inform Human
Resources when the offer is extended#IND1
Keywords: OHI - Ocean Health Initiatives, Inc., Lakewood , Certified Medical Assistant - CMA, Healthcare , Lakewood, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!